Alloa programmeFOR the second game in a row, Stranraer took an early lead against title contenders.

And just like Saturday against Livingston, they conceded two goals at the other end.

This time however, an injury-hit makeshift Blues side escaped with a welcome point, thanks to quality finishing from midfielders Scott Agnew and Willie Gibson.

Both sides came in having only won one of their last 6 games, so it was perhaps unsurprising that a draw was the final result.

Midfielder Ryan Thomson slotted in at right-back, with Motherwell loanee Luke Watt on the other flank.

Agnew again spearheaded the Blues midfield, as Brian Reid stuck with the 4-4-1-1 formation that stifled the creativity of league leaders Livingston on Saturday.

Alloa, sitting 3rd at kickoff, forced Blues keeper Cameron Belford into a stop with his legs early on.

But it would be the visitors who took the lead in the 9th minute.

Craig Thomson burst down the right wing, and centred for Agnew, whose clean, crisp left-footed finish offered Alloa goalie Neil Parry no chance at all.

Alloa 2The hosts responded with several chances, notably an overhead kick from Jordan Kirkpatrick which flashed wide, and a decent effort from a corner which Blues captain Steven Bell successfully cleared off the line.

Stranraer's resolve would finally break in the 23rd minute, as a wicked deflection on Kirkpatrick's strike from the edge of the box deceived Belford to make it 1-1.

Gibson had netted a fine free kick at the weekend, and he almost repeated the feat as Parry had to be alert to repel his stinging strike from 20 yards, with Giuliano Morena being denied on the rebound by a defensive block.

Stranraer started the second half strongly, and almost took the lead as Morena narrowly missed out on scoring one of the goals of the season.

The Italian's knuckle shot from distance brought the travelling Blues support to their feet as it scorched towards goal, but crashed dramatically against Parry's left-hand post to deny the midfielder his first goal for the club.
Alloa Gibson

Belford was called into action once more to deny the prolific Greig Spence as the forward breached the Blues' defensive line.

With less than 20 minutes to go, Gibson was hauled down, and stepped up to hit the free kick.

30 yards out, he curled a picture-perfect postage stamp strike into the top corner to send the away fans wild, and mark his 4th goal in 5 games.

However, the lead wasn't to last.

Spence evaded the attention of the Blues defence, and popped up with a cushioned header past a helpless Belford to make it 2-2 with only 8 minutes remaining.

A late header from former Stair Park favourite Jamie Longworth rocked Belford's post, and Morena wasn't too far away with a shot from 20 yards, but in the end a point apiece was probably a fair result.

The Blues now travel to Brechin on Saturday for their 3rd game in the space of 8 days.

Alloa: Parry, Taggart, Waters, Marr, Graham, Holmes (Layne 74), Cawley, Robertson, Longworth, Kirkpatrick, Spence. Not used: Hetherington, Scullion, Martin, Hoggan, Hynd, McDowall.

Stranraer: Belford, R.Thomson, Watt, Robertson, Bell, Morena, Turner, C.Thomson, Gibson, Agnew, Nuttall (McGuigan 82). Not used: Malcolm, McGowan, Sherrie, Maley, Currie.

SPFL 3L1 6474

1 Airdrieonians 0 0
2 Arbroath 0 0
3 Brechin City 0 0
4 Dumbarton 0 0
5 East Fife 0 0
6 Forfar Athletic 0 0
7 Montrose 0 0
8 Raith Rovers 0
9 Stenhousemuir 0 0
10 Stranraer 0 0



Grant Anderson, Kyle Turner, Jamie Hamill, Chris McGowan, Andrew McDonald (St Mirren), Max Currie, Lyle Avci (Ayr United), Cameron Elliott, Sam Lidington, Mark Lamont (East Fife), David Brownlie (Airdrieonians), David Smith (Dumbarton), Connor McManus (East Fife), Luke Donnelly (Queen's Park).

OUT: Angus Beith (end of loan), Dylan Dykes (end of loan), Dean Hawkshaw (end of loan), Ross Lyon (end of loan), Cameron MacPherson (end of loan), David Barron, Stephen Okoh, Scott Robertson (Airdrieonians), Ryan Thomson, Morgyn Neill (Stenhousemuir), Scott Agnew (East Fife), Gavin Scott (scholarship, USA).

View squad