Albion 2Scorers: Albion Rovers: R Stewart (15) and Wallace (Pen 44 and 77); Stranraer: Gibson (38) and Nuttall (72)

A DEFLECTED free-kick less than 15 minutes from full time saw Stranraer's winless run stretch to four matches.

The Blues last savoured victory at Ochilview on October 15 and, despite pulling level twice, they left with nothing from Cliftonhill.

Brian Reid made three changes from the side who lost out to Queen's Park, with Giuliano Morena, Willie Gibson and new signing Joe Nuttall coming into the team, with Frank McKeown, Scott Agnew and Kyle Turner on the bench.

It was the hosts who opened the scoring when a long ball over the top caught out the Stranraer defence.

Ross Stewart held off Steven Bell and, with the travelling fans calling for offside, the striker slotted the ball beyond Cameron Belford.

However, Stranraer scored their first first half goal since the trip to Stenhousemuir seven minutes before the break.

Gibson cut inside two men and, although his shot looked tame, it deceived Ross Stewart in the Albion goal.
Albion 3
But the Blues could not keep things level until the break.

Albion had a corner on the left swung in by Ryan Wallace but Scott Robertson was penalised for a spot of wrestling in the six yard box.

Wallace then stepped up and sent Belford the wrong way to give the home side a half time lead.

Stranraer showed their battling spirit after the break and were inches away from levelling just before the hour mark.

Nuttall was unlucky not to grab his first goal for the club when Stewart turned the striker's crisp volley round the post.

Then, from the corner, former Blue Michael Dunlop flicked Bell's header onto the post.

The second equaliser came 20 minutes from time with Gibson's pass collected by Nuttall and smashed home on the volley from outside the box.

But again, the Blues were not level for long.
Albion 1Wallace's free-kick looked on target but the massive deflection deceived Belford and ensured the points remained in Coatbridge.

Stranraer pushed for a third leveller in the final 15 minutes and had their own penalty shout waved away as they failed to grab a potentially deserved point.

Albion Rovers: Ross Stewart, Reid, McBride, Fisher, R Dunlop, M Dunlop, Boyd (Ferguson 89), Davidson, Wallace (Turnbull 81), Willis (McCann 77), Ross Stewart.
Not used: Ferry, Gilmour, Potts and Shields.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Watt, Bell, Morena (Turner 61), C Thomson (McGuigan 65), R Thomson, Gibson, Malcolm, Nuttall.
Not used: McKeown, Agnew and Currie.

Referee: Alan Muir
Attendance: 321
HT: 2-1


 Pos  Team  Pld   Pts 
1 Clyde 0 0
2 Edinburgh City
0 0
3 Motherwell 0 0
4 QOS 0 0
5 Stranraer 0 0



Grant Anderson, Kyle Turner, Jamie Hamill, Chris McGowan, Andrew McDonald (St Mirren), Max Currie, Lyle Avci (Ayr United), Cameron Elliott, Sam Lidington, Mark Lamont (East Fife), David Brownlie (Airdrieonians), David Smith (Dumbarton), Connor McManus (East Fife), Luke Donnelly (Queen's Park), Adam Cummins (Queen's Park), Max Ashmore (Ross County).

OUT: Angus Beith (end of loan), Dylan Dykes (end of loan), Dean Hawkshaw (end of loan), Ross Lyon (end of loan), Cameron MacPherson (end of loan), David Barron, Stephen Okoh, Paul Woods (East Kilbride), Scott Robertson (Airdrieonians), Ryan Thomson, Morgyn Neill (Stenhousemuir), Scott Agnew (East Fife), Gavin Scott (scholarship, USA).

View squad