Cv8MnHmXYAAZunEScorers: Peterhead - McAllister (64), Brown (87)

STRANRAER lost their Balmoor unbeaten streak of seven years as Willie Gibson's sending off proved to be the key turning point against Peterhead.

Brian Reid kept faith with the side which came from behind to secure a point against East Fife a week before, and named Under 20s prospects Jack Sherrie and Mitchell Ewing on the bench.

It was a surprisingly calm and sunny day in Aberdeenshire, but the Blues had a storm to weather early doors.

Goalkeeper Cameron Belford was forced to make a pair of excellent saves from ex-Morton winger Stefan McCluskey and the familiar Rory McAllister.

Craig Malcolm held the ball up well for Willie Gibson to fire over in the 7th minute.

Belford was called upon once again as McCluskey broke through, pouncing at the feet of the Blue Toon winger.

Stranraer started to find their feet towards the end of the first half.

Christian Nadé headed wide from a Kyle Turner cross, and Gibson's strike direct from a free kick had to be pushed away by Peterhead goalkeeper Graeme Smith.

Nadé's next headed attempt was on target, but again Smith stood firm.

In the 33rd minute, Gibson was booked for dissent - a moment which would later come back to haunt him.

McCluskey was proving a thorn in the side of the visitors' defence, skipping past Steven Bell and clawing a shot inches wide of Belford's right hand post.

The Blues had the ball in the net in the 40th minute. Kyle Turner's low strike stung the palms of keeper Smith, with Craig Malcolm firing the rebound into the top right hand corner.

Cv8lbT1WgAAJBTVHowever, Malcolm was flagged offside, and the first half would end goalless.

Just over 5 minutes after the restart, McCluskey was cautioned for kicking the ball away.

When Gibson did the same a minute later, there was only going to be one result - a second yellow for the winger, and Stranraer down to ten men.

It took the home side 11 minutes from the dismissal to take the lead.

A long ball over the top was gratefully received by McAllister, who rounded the stranded Belford and passed the ball into the net to put Peterhead in front after 64 minutes.

It was unfortunate for Cammy.

The Blues stopper had one more excellent save in his arsenal though, and used it to good effect to keep Jordon Brown at bay.

Stranraer huffed and puffed for the final half hour, and to their credit, never gave up hope, with Liam Dick seemingly everywhere, and the likes of Bell, Scott Robertson and Luke Watt all pushing forward.

However, the Blues' ambitions for an equaliser would finally become their downfall in the 87th minute, when a Peterhead counter attack released Scott Brown to finish coolly into the bottom corner.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, Watt, Bell, Morena (R Thomson 71), Turner (Agnew (77), C Thomson, Gibson, Malcolm, Nadé (McKeown 63). Not used: Ewing, Currie, Sherrie.

Peterhead: Smith, Stevenson, Noble (Ross 48), Strachan, Kelleher, S Brown, J Brown, Ferry (Dzierzawski 77), Riley (McIntosh 74), McAllister, McCluskey. Not used: Blockley, Rumsby, Baptie, Hobday.

Referee: Colin Steven
Attendance: 444
HT: 0-0


 Pos  Team  Pld   Pts 
1 Clyde 0 0
2 Edinburgh City
0 0
3 Motherwell 0 0
4 QOS 0 0
5 Stranraer 0 0



Grant Anderson, Kyle Turner, Jamie Hamill, Chris McGowan, Andrew McDonald (St Mirren), Max Currie, Lyle Avci (Ayr United), Cameron Elliott, Sam Lidington, Mark Lamont (East Fife), David Brownlie (Airdrieonians), David Smith (Dumbarton), Connor McManus (East Fife), Luke Donnelly (Queen's Park), Adam Cummins (Queen's Park), Max Ashmore (Ross County).

OUT: Angus Beith (end of loan), Dylan Dykes (end of loan), Dean Hawkshaw (end of loan), Ross Lyon (end of loan), Cameron MacPherson (end of loan), David Barron, Stephen Okoh, Paul Woods (East Kilbride), Scott Robertson (Airdrieonians), Ryan Thomson, Morgyn Neill (Stenhousemuir), Scott Agnew (East Fife), Gavin Scott (scholarship, USA).

View squad