Albion 8 April 2017 000bScorers: Willis (34), Wallace (75), OG Neill (81).

ON THE weekend of the Grand National, Stranraer were not at the races at Cliftonhill.

The Blues, so impressive in recent weeks, simply never got going and Albion Rovers deserved their three points - which surely kill off any chance of relegation.

Stevie Farrell made one change from the side that picked up three points against Stenhousemuir with Willie Gibson only fit enough for the bench after suffering from tonsillitis during the week.

It meant a recall for Michael Donald, who almost opened the scoring within the opening minute, while Scott Robertson, back from suspension, was named amongst the substitutes.

Ross Stewart also did well to get down low to Craig Malcolm's header but the first genuine clear-cut chance came the way of the home side.

Paul Willis stung the palms of Cameron Belford before Stranraer were forced into a change just before the half hour mark.
Albion 8 April 2017 000c
Captain Steven Bell landed awkwardly after challenging for a header and was replaced by Robertson.

It would be just five minutes later that Albion broke the deadlock.

A fine sweeping move down the right saw the ball played across the box and swept home by Willis.

Robertson drove a shot high and wide before the break and the same man was inches away from getting on the end of Scott Agnew's corner just after the restart.

Stranraer were enjoying more possession in and around the box but Stewart was rarely called into action.

Instead, the knockout blow was delivered with 15 minutes left to play.
Albion 8 April 2017 000a
A cross from the right was not dealt with and Ryan Wallace touched home after the ball came back off the post.

Things went from bad to worse moments later when Morgyn Neill turned a low cross past his own goalkeeper and Calum Ferguson should have made it four but his lob was plucked out of the air by Belford.

Stranraer's performances have undoubtedly been good since the change of manager but this afternoon was an off day.

Albion Rovers may not have hit top gear but the visitors never really looked like getting going.

Albion Rovers: Stewart, McCann, McBride (Turnbull 71), R Dunlop, M Dunlop, Fisher, Ferry, Davidson (Shields 87), Wallace, Willis, T Archibald (Ferguson 68).
Not used: Gilmour, Lightbody, P Archibald and Potts.

Stranraer: Belford, Pettigrew, Dick, Barron, Neill, Bell (Robertson 29), Thomson, Agnew, Wilson (Kassarate 56), Donald (Gibson 65), Malcolm.
Not used: Morena, Turner, McGuigan and Currie

Referee: Grant Irvine
HT: 1-0
Attendance: 377

SPFL 3L1 6474

1 Arbroath 21 52
2 Raith Rovers 21 39
3 East Fife 21 35
4 Forfar Athletic 21 33
5 Airdrieonians 21 30
6 Montrose 21 28
7 Stranraer 20 23
8 Dumbarton 21
9 Brechin City 20 19
10 Stenhousemuir 21 16


2018/19 Squad

1 - Max Currie (GK)
2 - Daniel Higgins (DEF)

3 - Chris McGowan (DEF)
4 - Andy McDonald (DEF)
5 - David Brownlie (DEF)
6 - Connor McManus (MID)
7 - Mark Lamont (MID)
8 - Kyle Turner (MID)
11 - Grant Anderson (M/S)
12 - Ian Smith (MID)

13 - Lyle Avci (GK)
14 - Cameron Elliott (MID)
17 - David Smith (D/M)
18 - Innes Cameron (STR)
20 - PJ Crossan (STR)

22 - Jamie Hamill (DEF)
23 - Adam Cummins (DEF)
24 - Conor O'Keefe (MID)